12 Teach English Abroad Programs You Need To Know

12 Teach English Abroad Programs You Need To Know

If you have been on my blog or follow me on social media you will know that I taught English in South Korea with EPIK, to teach in a public school in Korea. Going with a program gave me the support required to move abroad and there are other countries with teach abroad programs to consider. Here are some Teach English Abroad Programs that you need to know!


English Program in Korea – EPIK

  • English Program in Korea is a public school program in Korea and you can find all the details and eligibility here.
  • Must be from the UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa
  • They normally have 2 cycles a year, one in Feb and one in August.
  • You will be provided a salary, accommodation and more.
  • Degree required
  • Since I personally did EPIK I have other blog posts on my experience here.



  • GEPIK is also a public school program in Korea but you will placed in the Gyeonggi-do province only.
  • Normally you apply to schools directly but can use recruiters like Korvia to apply to the program.
  • Must be from the UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa
  • Degree required



  • This teach English abroad program is similar to the above programs, GOE is a public school English teaching program that places teachers in the southern Gyeongsang province of Korea.
  • Must be from the UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South AFrica
  • Degree Required
  • You can use Korvia as a recruiter to apply


JET Program

  • This is the Japan public school program and they only have a a cycle once a year so make sure you keep an eye our for dates.
  • You will be provided a salary, accommodation and other things.
  • Degree required


Teaching Assistant Program in France – TAPIF

  • This is a program where you would spend 7 months in France that is only available to US citizens and permanent residents.
  • You will be paid a monthly stipend, full eligibility and how to apply is on their website.
  • Need to have basic French ability
  • US Citizens or residents only
  • Degree required


British Council Teaching Assistant Program

  • The British Council runs a language assistant program where they place placement students and graduate into language assistant roles in different countries from six months to a year. You will be paid a monthly salary and receive help to find accommodation.
  • Some countries have language proficiency requirements and some don’t. Please check the website for the each countries requirements.
  • British Citizens only
  • You don’t need to have a degree but must have started one.


Chatteris Program

  • Charteris is an educational charity that connects international graduates, local schools, and community partners to best impact students in Hong Kong.
  • You will be paid a stipend and an start up loan is available to use.
  • Degree is required



  • In this program you can end up teaching either in a private school or a public funded school.
  • You will receive a monthly stipend and a degree is not required
  • Be a native English speaker


Hong Kong NET Program

  • The Hong Kong NET program is also a public school program but is mainly for those with a teacher training qualification like a PGCE not a TEFL.
  • Although those with a CELTA and some years of teaching experience may be able to apply for the primary stream.


Teach Taiwan 

  • Teach Taiwan is a program for licensed teachers to teach ESL in Taiwan.
  • You will receive a salary, housing stipend, airfare reimbursement etc.


Open Doors English Program

  • This is a volunteer program to teach in Chile’s public school system.
  • Must speak English fluently
  • Will receive a stipend and live with a host family who will also provide meals


Fulbright English Language Assistant Awards

  • This is more of an awards program for different continents and regions
  • The English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Programs place Fulbrighters in classrooms abroad to provide assistance to the local English teachers
  • US Citizens only


As you can see there are a few and probably some that I don’t even know about! Hopefully these programs gets you started on your Teach English Abroad journey!

Sarah Toyin signature


Other Useful Posts

How To Teach English in Korea : What is EPIK and How to Apply?

My English Program in Korea Timeline | Applying to EPIK

English Program in Korea (EPIK) FAQ – Teaching in Korea


teach english abroad programs



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Thinking about travelling solo? Keep on reading.

Want to receive a solo travel checklist for your solo trip? Sign up to receive it!
We keep your data private and share your data only with third parties that make this service possible. Read our Privacy Policy.