Things To Do In Tokyo | My Top Three Suggestions
You’re visiting Tokyo soon? No Way! Well, let me help you with some inspiration. I have visited Tokyo as well as Osaka and Kyoto, so here are my recommendations on things to do in Tokyo based on my experience.
I am sure you already know that Tokyo is the capital of Japan. Tokyo is super busy and reminded me of London times one hundred.I will admit that I did not have enough time in Tokyo with only three days. Hopefully there will be a next time.
In no particular order here are the the top three things I would recommend you should try to fit into your Tokyo trip:
1. Check out Shibuya Crossing
Visiting Shibuya Crossing is a must do when you visit Tokyo. Shibuya is a busy shopping district area where two of the busiest stations in the world are located which are Shinjuku station and Shibuya station. Around Shibiya Crossing you will see huge screens and lots of lights, representing the busy city. Shibuya is not only popular for shopping but for its nightlife and bars.
You might be like me and wonder why Shubuya Crossing is a famous tourist spot. This famous intersection has been shown in movies such as Lost in Translation and The Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift and the intersection is also amazing to look at when everyone is walking across it.
Shibuya Crossing is located outside Shibuya Station Hachikō exit (Exit 8). There is a statue of Hachikō, a dog, between the station and the intersection, which is a common meeting place and is generally always crowded.
The Best Place To Sit and Watch
There are many buildings with windows facing the Shibuya Crossing but the best place to view the crossing at is the Starbucks. It is just above the crossing, where you can sit and watch through the window if you can find a seat!
2. Visit Odaiba
Odaiba is an artificial island located in Tokyo Bay, Japan, across the Rainbow Bridge from central Tokyo. Odaiba was created initially in the 1850s for defensive purposes. There are cafes, restaurants, a cinema, a beach area and many other things.
Things To Do In Odaiba
There are many things to do and attractions to visit in Odaiba. The major attractions are:
- Palette Town:
- Daikanransha, a Ferris wheel
- Megaweb, an exhibition hall of car maker Toyota.
- Tokyo Leisure Land, a 24-hour video gaming, karaoke, bowling
- Venus Fort, a Venice-themed shopping mall
- Zepp Tokyo, one of Tokyo’s largest performance halls/nightclubs
- Fuji Television studios
- Miraikan, Japan’s National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation
- MORI Building Digital Art Museum
- Rainbow Bridge connecting Odaiba to the centreof Tokyo
- Aqua City and Diver City shopping center
- Decks Tokyo Beach shopping mall
- Museum of Maritime Science (Fune no kagakukan) with swimming pool
- Shiokaze park with BBQ places and Higashi Yashio park
- Telekom Center Building with an observation deck
- One of two beaches in urban Tokyo (swimming prohibited), along with Kasai Rinkai Park in Edogawa Ward
- A replica of the Statue of Liberty
- Panasonic Centre, a science and technology showroom
3. Head up the Tokyo Skytree
Tokyo Skytree is an observatory where you can view Tokyo from high up and also buy souvenirs. It is the tallest tower in Japan at 634 meters. Right by it there is a large shopping centre with an aquarium.
There we have it, these are my top three suggestions on things to do in Tokyo. I hope you have left inspired for your upcoming trip to Tokyo!